Sunday 28 February 2010

Project 5 ~ Pasta.....Play Dough for Adults....


RAVIOLI

Today I learnt all about Pasta Making.....Play Dough for Adults.....which is great fun. I always thought pasta came from supermarkets wrapped in unopenable plastic bags, which had to be cooked for 5...11....or 12 minutes depending on the manufacturers. So for todays project I have been initiated (and a myth smashed) to where pasta really comes from.......
My friend L, the expert in all things kitchen related, initiated me in the fine art of pasta making. First the flour was weighed and placed on the table (no bowls for L, she's a real chef!!). The eggs and extra virgin olive oil were beaten together and then added to the flour. The mixture was combined and then came the fun bit...the kneading. It sure gives the old bingo wings a workout.

Once kneaded within an inch of its life, the dough was left to rest for about half an hour to allow the gluton to do its' thing. Then the fun bit....
Not only is the pasta pulled and rubbed to within an inch of its' life, it's also stretched until it becomes paper thin. This is the fun bit because you get to use the machine. We made a brie and red onion filling for the ravioli and placed a second layer of pasta on top. A cake cutter stands in for a ravioli cutter....
And low and behold, gorgeous ravioli which takes only 8 minutes in salted boiling water. Fresh pasta beats the shop bought stuff hands down.......
Just to finish off this batch we made salmon and spinach.........mmmm....gorgeous. I know what I'm having for mothers day.....

9 comments:

  1. ~those look sooo YUMMY...we got a pasta maker attachment for our kitchenaid during christmas and absolutely L♥VE making pasta...it has been a wonderful family affair...great job...brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks faerwillow. I really enjoyed the experience and it is so worthwhile doing....good fun....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another step accomplished on my master plan to get all my friends as obsessed with all things kitchenny lol, it was good fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved every minute of it and gained a new skill...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious, and sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy. i have been wanting to make pasta for the longest time. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are loving it. I have made pasta and have to admit, I had a lot of fun at first, but eventually got really tired of the clean-up. And I can buy great pastas around me, so my energy goes elsewhere. But it does sound like a really cool project for the family, and I love the idea of teaching my daughter from where and how we get our food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm totally intimidated by pasta making...but I think I could do this! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I had never done my own pasta. Maybe I can gather the strength to try this one. They look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete