Saturday 15 January 2011

Winter Garden Survivers

This year we have had the worst two winters in the 22 years I have lived here. We had snow in 1982 and then in 2000 and although they were bad they were nothing like the bad snow we have had this year.

In January we were laid off work due to frozen pipes and the roads being too dangerous. In December we had temperatures in excess of -14c and our bathroon drain pipes froze. Luckily enough the water pipes are lagged but the outside pipes have never needed to be. They will be before next winter.

So in the midst of all this bad weather I was worried that I would lose all my veg, whereas I only lost the potatoes for Christmas......

My rhubarb has suprised me as it has survived the ravages. There are new shoots just poking through so shortly I will cover the pot to allow the rhubarb to be forced. I will spend tomorrow weeding and mulching.




My onions have also been a surviver although they look a little ragged. They too will recieve a little first aid and tidy up and then hopefully I will have a good crop of onions later in the year




My garlic has done very well as last year I had a very poor show. I put it down to my inexperience so I have hopefully learnt by my mistakes.





More garlic....you can never have too much garlic. I use a lot but I have friends and neighbours who also enjoy it so, like my runner beans I will share with them. My neighbours are very good as they share with us as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment